4 Truths About Bad Habits and Behaviors



I recently took on a long overdue and dreaded task of cleaning and detailing the interior of my car. I’ve never been a “car guy,” so for me, it’s about as enjoyable as listening to someone screech their fingernails across a chalkboard, and I often put it off until I can’t stand the sight of it any more. While going through the cleaning process of removing six months of gathered dust, I came across a surprise stuck in the folds of my emergency parking brake cover. I have an automatic car and rarely (if ever) use my emergency brake. While detailing this part of my car, I discovered some a really old and unidentifiable nasty piece of molded, sticky food that somehow got stuck and lost in the folds of the leather cover....probably a french fry or something from a distant road trip. Lord only knows how long it has been there. Since the brake lever remained down in the unused position, I never saw this growing science experiment. But once I found it, I recognized the odd odor that I had noticed over the last couple month. I ultimately spent a decent amount of time cleaning up the mess up and getting it looking like new again.
After I was done cleaning the inside of my car, I started thinking about how similar this task was to addressing unwanted behaviors or habits in my own life. Here are four similarities that struck me:
1. I have to be ready (or fed up) to address my bad habits. When it came to my cleaning my car, I had to get to the point where I couldn't stand or was embarrassed by the amount of dust, dirt and other mess in my car. The same thing goes for unwanted behaviors in my personal and work life. Until there is something that really presents itself to me, I tend to ignore and prioritize my time to focus on other things. But when I identify something that is detrimental, I usually want to address it head on. Until I get to this point, it's really almost useless to try and tackle the issue because I haven't made the decision that it is important enough to me. I guess acceptance really is the first step to recovery.
2. Unwanted habits aren't always the easiest to find and identify. Even when I decided to take the time to clean my car, I didn't initially know or identify that there was a hidden mess in the folds of the parking brake cover. Similarly, I know I can deny and make excuses for my conscious or unconscious bad habits. Only when I dedicate time or make up my mind to really do some serious self-reflection, do I find the area(s) I need to address and put action behind. For me, I’ve found it's important on a regular basis to identify and inventory the things that could be inhibiting me personally as well as professionally.
3. It takes time and dedication to address and clean up bad habits. Cleaning that junk up in the small confined space took longer than cleaning any other part of my car did. I realize I don't change overnight, as the scripture says, "the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak." I have to purposefully figure out how I am going to deal with the unwanted things in my life. Some people have friends, family or mentors they lean on to keep them centered. Others just need to put their mind to it, make a decision to change and then be dedicated to follow through on that change. Whatever way works best for you, put a plan together and stick with it.
4. Once bad habits are addressed, I am a much happier person. Although there were about a thousand other things I would have rather spent my time on than cleaning my car, there is certainly a measurable amount of satisfaction I have in driving a dust free and detailed car. As an added bonus, now I don't have to be embarrassed when I am volunteered to give everyone a ride for lunch. I have noticed that when I address bad habits and come out on the other side, life is better. I can sleep better. My mind is clearer. I work better. The list could go on and on. Although it's not the most fun process of breaking bad habits, the pay-offs far outweigh the cost.
Hopefully my little story and comparison spurs some deep thought and introspection, or provides that extra little motivation for you to address something in your life where you know you could be better. Here’s to you and the person you want to be. Cheers.


Comments